Project of a Monument for Jean-Jacques Rousseau at the Jardin des Tuileries
Watercolour on beige paper., H. 0.34 mm; W. 0.492 mm
Jean-Thomas Thibault – or Thibaut – landscape painter and architect, was mostly known for his architectural drawings.
He was trained by Etienne-Louis Boullée (between 1780 and 1786) and by Pierre-Adrien Paris. He then went to Rome by his own means and stayed there from 1786 to 1790. He became friends with Charles Percier and Pierre-François-Lénoard Fontaine. He practiced there, according to Fontaine, “alternatively, and always successfully, painting and architecture”.
In 1795 and 1796, he took part in many exhibitions. During the Empire (1804-1814), he was in charge of restoring the palace of The Hague and the Amsterdam City Hall, he finished the castle of “la Petite Malmaison” for the empress Josephine and transformed and restored many castles and mansions, including the Palais de l’Elysée. He was member of the Institut and professor at Ecole Royale des Beaux-Arts from 1819 to 1827.
He also wrote Application de la perspective linéaire aux arts du dessin, which is posthumous.