The Posillipo Coast, Naples, 1842
Oil on canvas, H. 0.33 m; W. 0.45 m
Signed lower right: A. Lapito
Located lower left: Côte de Pausilippe
Provenance: Private collection
Equipped with solid academic training from Louis-Etienne Watelet (1780-1866) and François-Joseph Heim (1787-1865), Lapito devoted himself entirely to landscape painting and worked continually en plein air, especially in the Forest of Fontainebleau. A friend of Corot, he painted alongside him and freed his handling of paint over his various excursions. He travelled frequently around France and Corsica, Switzerland and Italy. Between 1827 and 1870, Lapito exhibited regularly at the Paris Salon. He won a 2nd class medal in 1833 and a 1st class one two years later. He exhibited regularly in Brussels where he was awarded a gold medal in 1848. He was made a chevalier de la Légion d’honneur in 1836.